|Woman hospitalized in VZ County house fire|
|Written by Clayton Neville|
|Wednesday, 18 September 2013 07:39|
A house fire Wednesday morning in Van Zandt County sent a female resident to the hospital with smoke inhalation.
According to the Van Zandt County Fire Marshal, the fire was reported shortly after 6 a.m.
The fire was contained to a unoccupied bedroom. Wills Point Police officers were able to lessen the extent of damages to the residence by closing doors and windows of the residence, until firefighters arrived.
The cause of the fire was from a faulty extension cord. The County Fire Marshal found and identified multiple extension cords plugged into each other, which was also plugged into two electrical devices. There were no working smoke detectors in the residence. The lone female occupant was awakened by the smell of smoke.
Wills Point, Edgewood, and Rolling Oaks Fire Department’s responded to the fire.
One bedroom suffered extensive fire damage and the entire residence suffered smoke damage. The female was transported by Champion EMS to a local hospital for treatment.
Fire Marshal Chuck Allen says this is a reminder to check all your batteries in your smoke detectors and that extension cords are not made to be plugged in one after another to reach and run electric devices.